The town of Strachur is situated at the top of the Cowal Peninsula on the east coast of Loch Fyne and includes the small hamlet of St Catherines to the north. This is a popular area for tourists for the fine views and local walks including the district of Glenbranter.
An excellent place to visit in the Town is Strachur Smiddy which now fully restored comprises a museum and a craft shop.
This particular Smiddy was probably built to serve the needs primarily for the residents of Strachur House but also for passing travellors going from west Argyll to the Cowal area. The Smiddy was first in use around 1791.
Not only is this a good area in itself for places of interest and woodland walks but it is also a great base for forrays into Cowal to the south and of course the north of Loch Fyne which of course includes the historic capital of Inveraray.